Friday, January 30, 2009

.... RELIGION.... WHAT RELIGION?...

Yes, it’s totally true, I have become some sort of local champion: helping people look through their poems. Critiquing them. Correcting them. Interpreting them.

I had a friend over at my house today. We looked through a bunch of his passionate poetry together. I’d spot lapses and areas of strength.- Maybe someday, I’d make a living off being a critique. Lol!

Overcome by some sort of excitement, he hurled question after question. Just as he turned to leave, he asked a question that hit me.
‘What’s your religion?’ My reaction was totally classic: ‘What does religion have to do with poetry?’ I asked, conveniently shoving the question aside. He pondered for a quick second and left.
I have often wondered why people get fascinated at my religion. Couldn’t people just be friends, yet know some things are sacred. For me, the concept of religion is personal; however, for my poetry friend, and other friends who would like to know my religion, I would disclose all of it here.
My father is a Christian, my mother is a Muslim. I have had to most of my life deal with the duality of religion. Sometime in Middle school, I decided I would take the good parts of both religions. Just live right according to the standards of God.
However, the thing about non conformity to any one religion is though I see a bit of myself in every religion. I still feel to a large extent detached, alienated from them. Without an obligation to any one religion, I am at some level apart, free, and in some strange way, alone.
I am more a Christian though: Christianity comes as a choice not an imposition: all my questions as regards faith, spirituality, existence… have not magically been resolved/ answered by the Christian God. But in my unbelief, I feel Jesus’ and not Allah’s spirit coming upon me.
It’s a choice to submit myself to his will. Just as it’s my choice to at some point remain free. Just as it’s my choice to discover the truths of God, not within the confinement of any religion, be it Christianity or Islam. Those still with a lot of questions, I consider myself spiritual and NOT RELIGIOUS….

17 comments:

  1. Religion should be more of a personal relationship btw me and God. There are so much delusions, confusions, misquotations going on out there…

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm
    i'm feeling your blog

    have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd just hold this page right there...and make my next blog post a comment about your post! and a comment about my own faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot even begin to thank you all for browsing through my blog. Your comments are truly valuable:

    Seye: You know it'd be an honour my blog can provide motivation for your next blog post.

    The Activist: Thanks... Agree with you, the concept of religion should be private.

    Kafo: Thanks. Would keep uploading great content, you should come back soon.

    Secret Diary: Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Christianity comes as a choice not an imposition.."

    I like that ...it says what I've always thought about the 'other' religion... - - - > christianity is a religion of choice, NOT force. ...later in future or sometimes, I may talk religion at my 2nd / proper blog: http://r4biz.blogspot.com

    * * TheSecretDiary / RFourBiz is my 'i don't care' / 'mess about' blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well...religion is personal yes but religion without spirituality is messed up. Looking at Christianity, it would be a lot easier if we just followed what Jesus said 'Love the Lord thy God, with all your might...and love your neighbour as yourself" we will actually have no problems but instead we spend time discussing our failures and weakness and doing the wotk of the Godhead...imma blog about dis...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont know what religion has to do with your poem...but maybe it was some wordings or belief that you had written in.



    Maybe he was just being the friend and just wanted to know your religion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My religion centres around my personal relationship with God...thats all that should matter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all your comments:

    Harry: Accept the fact that Raven might not be too good an actress. lol.

    Oyin: Thanks for your comment. It has definitely put my thoughts or opinions at the time in new light.

    Naija Babe: Yes, religion is personal. It trips me why the topic fascinates people. Plus, your blog is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're such a fantastic blogger.

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm hook here man.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by
    Hmmmm...i try to avoid issues that deal with religion and tribe

    I often think to my sef o...what if xtainty and islam isnt even God's religion...what if its the other 100 and 1 religions out there...

    Lets just worship the God of Abraham...simple...well not quite...lo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting..I just discovered your blog!! You know, my mum was muslim before she married my Dad and I never liked that she converted to Christianity. I usually did feel slightly irritated, whenever she proudly justified her change by claiming it was because of marriage. I like your stance on religion, that it is out of your choice, and not something imposed on you. I wish more people saw it this way, and maybe there would be less blindness in the way people think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Afolabi: hope u dont mind if I say someting here since I am not the blog author.

    You have to understand you mom's decision even though it's not one I will make because of a man or marriage. ( this is cuz of my level of awareness...)

    The society has made women belief they have no choice but to give all up for a man or marriage... wrong preaching my brova, wrong culture stand as well.

    As an individual, it's you who shd make your choice and all...

    ReplyDelete